Saturday, September 13, 2008

Tips to Avoid a Speeding Ticket




One week ago, I got to make the lovely trip across the high deserts of Oregon and Idaho on my way to school at BYU-I. Well, at good ole' mile post 95, east of Boise, on I-84 I received a speeding ticket for $75. It was about 10p.m., not much traffic on the road and I was clocked doing 89 in a 75. This is my second speeding ticket and it sure beats the $420 first ticket three years ago. Now, of course, this could have been prevented so here is a list of things you ought not to do if you want to avoid a speeding ticket
  • First of all, don't talk on the phone. It is a bad distraction and that's when it all started to go downhill. I had been going a good fairly legal speed until I started chattin' on the phone.

  • While driving and talking on the phone, never say "man I'm going too fast but I haven't seen a single cop since I got into Idaho and they wouldn't pull me over anyways." At that very moment, the state trooper had pulled out behind me without his lights on. I thought it was just another car coming up behind me.

  • When the officer asks you "How fast do you think you were going?", don't respond by saying "well, my speedometer only goes to 84 and I was quite a ways past that so I know I was going to fast." I don't know how it sounded to him but I knew right after I had said that, that it didn't come out too well.

  • Lastly, buy a car with cruise control. Let me tell you, this makes a big difference. Both of my two tickets were because I was on the freeway and didn't have cruise control. With this bad boy you can set your speed at 5 or 6 mph over the speed limit and you won't ever get pulled over but instead, I had Ray Jr. flunctuating speed.

It was still a fun trip even though I didn't have the guts to get my car back over 70mph the rest of the way. The conclusion of the trip was the best because I couldn't find Evan's apartment at 2 in the morning and he was out of town so I ended up sleeping in my car for 3 hours. Fun times!

3 comments:

Triz said...

Sleeping in the car huh? You're officially a man now.....or a hobo. Maybe both?

Glad you got in safely.

Evan said...

Looks like Trev and I are the only ones that comment here Driod. I feel for you we don't get many comments either, probably because we are so inconsistent with our blogging. I loved the tips, I laughed out loud here in the library, it was kind of awkard.

susanmeade said...

Thanks for sharing these great and useful tips with us! In my opinion, one of the best ways to fight a traffic ticket is to hire a lawyer. My father actually got rid of a speeding ticket Toronto with the help of a qualified and skilled lawyer from http://www.nopointstraffictickets.com. He was very pleased with his services!