Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why I love BYU-I


I'm sitting here at 3:35 am, procrastinating my homework and knowing that it has been a while since my last blog, thinking about what it possibly is that I can write about. Well, as the above title suggests, I'm going to write about why Andy Winn loves Brigham Young University-Idaho.
Girls- Even Droid knows where his priorities are. An old man once told (i.e. Bossman) me that fathers send their daughters to BYU and their cows to BYU-I. I beg to differ old man. The ladies here are top notch.... spiritually of course and not to mention physically but not like that's important or anything. ( Last statement was for all female viewers.) Modest is hottest.I like to play with the odds in my favor due to my former rebellious days of poker and frankly, that's exactly what I have here at BYU-I. Girls out number the guys at a ratio of 2 to 1. Yes, that means there is hope for the Droidinator. Then you take out all of the preemies and my ratio gets even better. Then, the great town of Rexburg makes things even better by giving all these great date activities for cheap. I haven't spent more than $15 on a date and that's meal included.


Intramurals- BYU-I has the best intramurals program in the nation...period. (Look for more on this soon in the No Mercy Sports Blog) I have not heard of any other university that has an eight team tackle football league. This league is so intense, they have all-time statistical records on-line. Because BYU-I doesn't have any collegiate teams, they make sure there is something for everyone. You can play in recreational leagues or competitive leagues with cheerleaders and high school refs ranging from football to golf to ultimate frisbee. I'm currently the star center of Ryan's Boys in the upper division of flag football and head coach of the Ladies Dodgin' Bullets.


Classes- Here classes start with a prayer and end with another engaged couple. I love the small class sizes here. All my teachers know my name except maybe Brother Jenson but then again, all Ev and I do is sit in the back and look at stuff on the internet or make fun of the married 25 year old with a kid who still finds it cool to pop his collar. Plus, the classes really foster an atmosphere for discussion. Lets not forget that I actually have fellow classmates and teachers supporting me when I make conservative comments.

Evan and Whit- Life up here just wouldn't be the same. First off, there is no way I could survive micro-economics with Ev. Second, we have great chemistry on the football field. Ev and I, both, touched the ball on every offensive play last game. Even when I wasn't center for two plays, Ev tossed the ball to me for a big gain. This is another shout out to Ev, thanks for the love! And there is Whit...Without her expertise, we would not have our flag football games filmed in HD or would we have post-game wrap-ups. Also, Ev helps me keep the eternal perspective while here at school; intramurals first, other stuff in the middle and school in last place.


Spiritual- I love the atmosphere at the school. They call it the "Spirit of Ricks" but it really is just called the Spirit. Like I said, every class starts off with a prayer, except in my auto class today.(He got a little listening to a comedy act about BYU biking laws) Also, the things we learn are tied back to the gospel. I have a stud as my Book of Mormon teacher. It's amazing what a difference professional teachers make in religious classes. Almost everyone wants to be obedient; the exception would be my youthful roommates. Give 'em a break, they are learning. Basically, I love the integration of secular and spiritual learning. Last of all, you don't get one of these just a block down the road in most cities.



Last but not least......Did I mention girls?


6 comments:

Evan said...

I don't even know where to start. I have Econ with you in about ten minutes so we can go over details there. But....
1. Driod you lasted about 4 seconds on that bull, come on. Obviously I have not shown you all of Rexburg, we can work on that. (ask me about my record on the machinical bull sometime)
2. I am so glad you have realized the girl situation, as most bacholers do very quickly. Just remember, saddle up it can be a bumby ride. And snag em quick before all those preme's come home.
3. You really have stepped up your game, you are a big part of the 3 game win streak.
4. Classes-just make sure I get a turn on the laptop in class today.
5. Whit will love the shout out. Do you know anyone else who films intramurals in HD??? Yeah, she is the bomb.com!
6. I must correct you on one thing, school is more important than I may make it seem. But if you prioritize your time right, there should never be a conflict over a football game or a date for that matter.

Good luck with the ladies, I noticed you had a few female cheerleaders at our last game, congrats and good work!

Ev

Triz said...

Droid, that is what I'm TALKING about!

The Winns said...

I am so proud I might shed a tear. I will require background checks on any serious female-friends. I have to look out for my interests! I'm so glad you made the right decision to go to BYU-I!!!!

P.S. We miss you!!

Tolman Family said...

Well, keep your eye out for Stacey Olson. She's beautiful, smart, athletic and so much fun to hang out with. As I'm sure a lot of girls are, but I'm biased. If you meet her don't pass up the chance to make a date with her! She's amazing!!! She might not last too long.

I'm glad to hear you love were you are!

Keep in touch

Brandon said...

Sounds like life is great! Let us know if we need to pencil in a date for next summer...

JasPam said...

Andy, you should be the Chamber of Commerce for BYU-I. Your insights are touching and profound.

SP